1. Who was your first prom date? I did not go to any prom.
2. Do you still talk to your first love? We don’t talk, but email a few times a year.
3. What was your first alcoholic drink? I’m pretty sure it was a screwdriver.
4. What was your first job? Working for a mail-order shortwave radio company after school, starting in tenth grade. I loved that job. I was in charge of their tiny “shipping department” and mailing lists, and I prepared packages for shipment. I had a crush on the UPS man, who visited daily. For a high school student, I had a great income. I kept that job until I went to college.
5. What was your first car? 1979 Toyota Celica hatchback. I loved that car, and drove it cross-country after I graduated from college. It ended up getting totalled in an accident I had crossing Market Street in San Francisco.
6. Who was the first person to text you today? Today? Nobody. It’s only 7:30am!
7. Who is the first person you thought of this morning? My spouse.
8. Who was your first grade teacher? Mrs. Richter. She lived around the corner from me. “Richter is stricter,” was the motto about her, but she was soft under her tough crust.
9. Where did you go on your first ride on an airplane? I think it was to California with my godmother when I was seven.
10. Who was your first best friend, and are you still friends with him/her? My first best friend was Roger Klein, in preschool. I used to affectionately call him Bowling-Ball Head, because he had a black crew cut and a very round head. I think my mother told me he became a dentist. I never saw him after kindergarten, but I remember playing with plastic soldiers on the floor next to his bunk bed. I was very envious of both (the soldiers and the bed).
11. What was your first sport played? I was on the track team in high school. I couldn’t deal with balls of any kind. I ran the 880. (half mile) I remember barfing by the side of the track a lot.
12. Where was your first sleepover? My cousin Kelly Ann’s house. Does it count if it’s a relative?
13. Who was the first person you talked to today? My husband. “What TIME is it?” “Quarter to six.” GROAN.
14. Whose wedding were you in the first time? My own. I’ve never been a flower girl/bridesmaid.
15. What was the first thing you did this morning? Tried to go back to sleep, couldn’t.
16. What was the first concert you ever went to? The Edgar Winter Group (remember “Frankenstein”? the long-haired Albino brothers?) at the Schaefer Music Festival at Wollman Rink in Central Park. 1972, I was 13 I think. I went with some people from the youth group at my church. It was the beginning of a long career of concert-going.
17. What was your first tattoo or piercing? I got my ears pierced when I was twenty six, in Santa Cruz. I was still afraid my mother would be mad. She’d never let me do it when I was younger because she thought it would make me look “cheap.”
18. What was the first foreign country you went to? Japan when I was ten.
19. What was your first run-in with the law? Trespassing in a closed regional park in the winter in Ithaca, New York, when I was twenty-two. I was photographing with a friend from Sweden, and we had to go to the judge’s house at seven in the morning, and he came to the door in his bathrobe. My friend was terrified he’d be deported.
20. When was your first detention? I never had detention.
21. What was the first state you lived in? New Jersey.
22. Who was the first person to break your heart? My birthmother.
23. Who was your first roommate? In college, it was Annemarie, who was great, but before that, it was all the girls I ever went to camp with, starting at Camp Tapawingo in upstate New York.
24. Where did you go on your first limo ride? Last December, in Las Vegas. It turned out limos were cheaper than the Super Shuttle!